The preserved castle building is a three-storey edifice on an irregular floor plan with a thick round tour on the northern narrow side. The two bottom storeys have solid brick walls. The top, half-timbered storey was refurbished after the fire in 1929 and finished with the same plaster as the brick walls. The slate roof and the octagonal top of the tower with its wooden cladding on the top storey give the building a modern appearance. On the left above the door, a stone with the Waldeck star, the coat of arms, was built into the wall.
From 1687 to 1728, the castle was home to the State Chancellery and the Government of Waldeck.